Introduction to copper foiling is a beginners class in which you will learn the basics of copper foil technique to create your very own stained glass handmade sun catcher.
Yes, you’ll get to take it home with you!
Based at our lovely stained glass studio on the first floor of One Hamilton Square, this 6 hour workshop will include:
- instructions on how to select and structure your piece
- how to cut glass
- how to use a diamond grinder
- the application and burnish of silver backed copper foil
- how to assemble and solder each glass piece together to create your sun catcher
- how to add the correct size jump ring and chain to securely hang your finished piece.
You will be able to select your sun catcher pattern from a wide range of patterns that will be provided.
There will be a broad selection of stained glass to choose from.
Detailed health & safety guides and precautions will be taught throughout the day and personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided along with all materials.
No previous stained glass experience is necessary for this particular workshop.
A maximum of 4 participants per workshop. This ensures that each individual receives adequate support from the tutor throughout the session.
- Due to the use of lead and chemicals involved in this workshop we are unfortunately unable to accommodate pregnant women.
- We have a no smoking policy onsite at One Hamilton Square.
- No alcohol can be consumed on the premises or during workshop breaks. Treat yourself to something with bubbles later to celebrate what you’ve created.
- Unfortunately, due to the nature of our building which is a listed building and former bank with a vault, the studio is not step-free accessible. We are based on the first floor. There are approximately 35 steps to reach it and our building does not have a lift.
- Please wear comfortable clothing (the older the better as you will be working with chemicals), suitable footwear such as boots or trainers (no open toed footwear), and bring a hair tie to safely secure your hair back.
- If you wear glasses for reading then please bring them.
What is included in the workshop fees?
- Use of all equipment, materials & tuition needed to hand make your own stained glass sun catcher.
- Gloves, safety mask, goggles and apron are also provided.
- Complimentary tea, coffee, juice, bottled water and biscuits are provided throughout the day.
- There will be a lunch break in which you can choose to explore the local cafes or bring a packed lunch to eat onsite.
- We have a separate area away from the workshop for your use.
If you’d like to reserve a session for your group then please contact Olive Can Fly directly to discuss available dates and the group discount we have available.